Monday – “Crossfit Total”
On Sunday, we had the honor of being one of the sponsors for the 2011 Vancouver Cup Karate Championships. This would be my first ever experience watching a real life karate tournament. And what an event it was! Just like in the movie “Karate Kid”, you had the panel of judges, respected figures of the Karate community, spotlights on the main stage/fighting area, streamers of traditional Japanese characters, and a bleacher full of family, friends, and fans of the fighters. Overdrive was there to support our very own – Mark Berg and Jack Shiah. Although Michi and Kris just recently retired, there was a special presentation honoring their fighting careers and accomplishments. Needless to say, they had very successful careers and will now go on to be great karate coaches for the younger generation. Jack, just newly into the karate tournament scene, held his own with a first round victory and later credited his training at Overdrive for that win. Mark, who just got back from the World Cup in Tokyo, had to get through two tough opponents before becoming the heavyweight champion! In fact, Mark was the underdog in the final fight as his opponent was Pasha, another top fighter who trains with Michi and Kris. Congratulations Mark!
All in all, it was an amazing experience to have attended such an event as it helped me, as a coach, understand more to how Crossfit training can apply to such high calibre fighting. (Pictures and videos coming soon!)
*IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR THIS WEEK:
1. NO 6 PM CLASS ON TUESDAY AS WE WILL BE HOSTING THE STRETCH CLINIC – COME ONE, COME ALL! THIS IS AN INTERACTIVE SESSION!
2. ON WEDNESDAY AT 4 PM, THE JAPANESE TV CHANNEL WILL BE ON SITE TO DO A QUICK INTERVIEW WITH SOME OF THE KARATE FIGHTERS WHO TRAIN WITH US(BACKGROUND WODDERS NEEDED!)
3. THIS SATURDAY’S TEAM WOD WILL BE CONVERTED INTO A FRIENDLY WOD-OFF WITH CF ROCKY POINT OF COQUITLAM. THERE WILL BE APPROX. A DOZEN OF THEM COMING OVER TO VISIT OUR BOX. BOTH INDIVIDUAL AND TEAM WODS WILL BE RUN THAT MORNING!
HAVE A GREAT WEEK EVERYONE AND TRY NOT TO MISS ANY WODS THIS WEEK!
WOD : “CROSSFIT TOTAL”
Find 1 RM for the following:
1. Back Squat(must squat below parallel at bottom, and have full extension of knees and hip at top, showing full control)
2. Shoulder Press(NO dip before press, knees & hips fully extended, full extension of elbow joint with head through window at top)
3. Deadlift(FLAT BACKS ONLY, full extension of knees and hips at top)
The exercises must be completed in order. Once you have chosen the weight to attempt for your 1 RM, you have MAX 3 attempts. These lifts MUST be approved by a coach. There is no time component. Your score will be the total lbs combined for all three lifts. Movement standards are in brackets beside the movement.
|Men’s Class Rankings|
|Women’s Class Rankings|